Thursday, April 16, 2009











The Railroad. I have lived alongside this monolithic instrument of industry for my entire life. I have heard and felt the grinding, throbbing, powerful rush of many tons of metal passing but a few hundred yards away. These tracks are a part of my life; which I will never forget. Their simple, industrial-age beauty does not do justice to how nostalgic they are in my heart. I have so many memories of watching, in pure awe and fascination, the rumbling mass of a machine tearing down the tracks like an unstoppable beast. The sheer weight and power always made me feel tiny. But my fondest memory lies in mid-summer nights. In the still of night, warm breeze flowing through my open screen window, one can hear the train whistle blowing its mournful call from miles away. The sound echoes off the hills, stirrs the nocturnal creatures, and always brought a soothing hush afterwards. The bright light could be seen from a long distance, casting unusual shadows.
These tracks are mythic, and thus demand to be immortalized in B&W.

1 comment: